Adult Learning opportunities can increase your skills to support you into work, enable you to gain qualifications, help you to meet new friends or simply find new hobbies or interests. Southampton City Council supports a wide range of community partners to deliver hundreds of adult learning courses across the City.
More information about our partners, the types of learning activities they offer and how to contact them can be found in this document:
Many of the council’s funded courses are targeted at specific learners. You can find out about other part-time and leisure courses available locally through:
- Visit Southampton Ė lists a wide variety of courses and classes
- Local colleges usually run adult education classes and leisure courses, for example Southampton City College, Richard Taunton College, Itchen College and Eastleigh College
- The National Careers Service has a course search option for courses funded by the Education and Skills Funding Agency
- Noticeboards in libraries, community centres and shops often have details of local courses
- Information about local language classes is available here
- FindCourses.co.uk is a national website where you can search for courses by subject and location
Multiply Numeracy Project
Multiply is a government-funded programme to help adults improve their numeracy skills.
If youíre aged 19 and over and donít have a maths GCSE at grade C (or equivalent), you can access free numeracy courses through Multiply to build your confidence with numbers and gain a qualification.
Good numeracy skills may unlock job opportunities and lead to higher wages or prepare you for further study. They also help in everyday life, such as helping children with homework and budgeting money.
There are courses for beginners to more advanced courses such as GCSE Maths, Functional Skills Qualifications, or equivalent. Online tutorials and content are also available, so you will be able to learn at a pace that suits you.
The local providers below all have Multiply courses available so you can see what is accessible nearby to you:
- Bfluent GCSE and Vocational Training
- City College Southampton
- City Life Education and Action for Refugees
- Itchen College
- Southampton City Council Museums & Gallery Learning
- Training for Work in Communities
Alternatively, if you know what course you are looking for you can search for providers that offer that course, or just find out more information about Multiply, at Multiply – Skills for Life.