Adult Learning opportunities can increase your skills to support you into work, enable you to gain qualifications, help you to meet new friends or simply find new hobbies or interests. Southampton City Council supports a wide range of community partners to deliver hundreds of adult learning courses across the City.
More information about our partners, the types of learning activities they offer and how to contact them can be found in this document:
Many of the council’s funded courses are targeted at specific learners. You can find out about other part-time and leisure courses available locally through:
- Discover Southampton – lists a wide variety of courses and classes
- Local colleges usually run adult education classes and leisure courses, for example Southampton City College, Richard Taunton College, Itchen College and Eastleigh College
- The National Careers Service has a course search option for courses funded by the Education and Skills Funding Agency
- Noticeboards in libraries, community centres and shops often have details of local courses
- Information about local language classes is available here
- FindCourses.co.uk is a national website where you can search for courses by subject and location
If you are interested in finding out about learning activities and new courses, why not sign up to our Community Learning newsletter? Choose Community Learning in the Stay Connected subscription topics list.
Southampton Adult Learner Celebration 2019
Thursday 20th June 2019
Southampton City Art Gallery
The Southampton Adult Learner Celebration took place on Thursday 20th June 2019 and recognised the achievements and successes of adult learners, tutors and volunteers from across the city.
There were opening remarks from Sandy Hopkins, Chief Executive, Southampton City Council and June Diegan, Regional Education Manager, Workers’ Educational Association. This was followed by a performance by SoCo Music Project’s The Point Community Choir. Certificates were presented by Councillor Les Harris to nominees from Southampton City Council’s funded partners:
- Brighter Prospects Limited (Pitman Training)
- CLEAR (City Life Education and Action for Refugees)
- Southampton City Council Employment Support Team
- Mayflower Theatre
- Sure Start / 0-19 Integrated Early Help Service (SCC)
- The Workers’ Educational Association (WEA, Southern Region)
- Training for Work in Communities (TWICs)
Below is a photo gallery showcasing highlights of the celebration