Becoming self-employed can be a great way to become your own boss, manage your own time and be flexible around other commitments. However, it can be a daunting prospect and there are lots of things to consider. We’ve put together this guide to signpost you to additional support in and around Southampton, as well as online.
Support from Southampton City Council’s Employment Support Team
We have a self-employment project for Southampton council tenants aged 18 and over who might have an idea for a business, be in the process of getting started, or may want support with an existing business. This is a free service that offers support and signposting. The support we offer includes:
- Impartial Information, Advice and guidance to guide you through the process of starting your own business
- Advice on how to access funding and training
- One to one support
- Access to work clubs around the city where you can use computers and the internet for free
- Signposting and referral to other support organisations
Drop in to one of our work clubs, call us on 023 8091 7585 or email Francesca.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Set up as a sole trader step by step guide: www.gov.uk/set-up-self-employed
- Business Companion – Free, impartial legal guidance for businesses: www.businesscompanion.info
- Simply Business – Going Self-Employed in the UK: www.simplybusiness.co.uk/knowledge/articles/2016/12/going-self-employed-in-the-UK-a-self-employment-guide-to-get-started
- Reed.co.uk – Is self-employment right for me?: www.reed.co.uk/career-advice/is-self-employment-right-for-me
- Register as self-employed: www.gov.uk/log-in-file-self-assessment-tax-return/register-if-youre-self-employed
- What is a UTR number?: www.which.co.uk/money/tax/income-tax/self-assessment-tax-return/what-is-a-utr-number
Money and Benefits:
- Money Advice Service – Tax and National Insurance when you’re self-employed: www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/tax-and-national-insurance-when-youre-self-employed
- Turn2Us – Self-Employment and Benefits: www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Self-employment-and-benefits/Am-I-employed-or-self-employed
- New Enterprise Allowance: www.gov.uk/government/collections/new-enterprise-allowance-campaign
Support in and around Southampton
Creative Growth Southampton – does exactly what it says on the tin; helps you reach your next business goals by offering a range of services based around: Mentoring, Networking and Training, all planned and designed to help you take your creative business to the next level.
Hampshire Chamber of Commerce – provide products, services and support to businesses across Hampshire.
Network Eagle Lab – Barclays has partnered with Southampton City Council to create Network Eagle Lab and support entrepreneurs and businesses within Southampton.
Federation of Small Businesses – As experts in business, we offer our members a wide range of vital business services including advice, financial expertise, support and a powerful voice heard in government. Our mission is to help smaller businesses achieve their ambitions.
Collabor8 – Calling all people in business, whatever stage your business is at! You no longer need to feel alone – we are here to support you as you grow. Our fantastic community of like-minded business people understand that running your own business can be a lonely place. Just like you, members of our community want to grow their businesses, form new relationships and have a good time along the way.
Southampton City Council Business Advice – The following information is to help businesses comply with legislation and to trade fairly. We can provide guidance on setting up systems to achieve compliance, identifying best practice and maintaining due diligence. In the first instance we would encourage traders to visit the Business Companion website.
Radian – free self-employment courses in and around Southampton
Southampton City Council Business News E-Alert
Stay up to date with information, events and advice for businesses in Southampton by subscribing to our Business news e-alert